LA Clippers small forward Kawhi Leonard admitted that Paul George’s departure from the team was ‘no surprise’. Leonard was in contact with George about his contract negotiations and his move to the Philadelphia 76ers was always on the cards.
George ended up signing a four-year, $212 million deal in free agency with the Sixers.
“We knew what it was before the season,” Leonard said after USA Basketball’s practice on Tuesday. “We knew what it was going to come down to. So, we talked the whole way through.
“It’s no surprise.”
Meanwhile, the Clippers head coach Lue Tye said he tried his best to convince George to stay with them but it was tough for the organization.
“You lose an important piece to the team like PG, it’s hard to replace,” Lue, an assistant coach for USA Basketball, told ESPN. “I’m disappointed that we weren’t able to get the deal done, disappointed he didn’t come back. It’s tough for the organization. We got to see how we move forward from here.
“I talked to him many times, trying to see what his mindset was, what we need to do different, how we can help his process along. It’s unfortunate that he left.”
Meanwhile, George said on his “Podcast P with Paul George” that the Clippers initially gave him a two-year deal worth $60 million, which he felt was “disrespectful.”
Leonard said his onus to lead the team through without Paul George will be the same as the last year.
“How much will be on me to lead the team?” Leonard said. “The same like it was last year. It don’t change.”
Speaking on Leonard’s performance so far in camp, Lue told ESPN, “He’s been good, the best I’ve seen him move since he got injured [on March 31.
“Moving really good. It’s good to see him healthy and trending in the right direction.”
Lucknow Super Giants captain Rishabh Pant admitted they were 20-25 runs short of a par… Read More
Punjab Kings captain Shreyas Iyer lauded the collective effort of the team after an eight-wicket… Read More
Delhi Capitals will lock horns against Sunrisers Hyderabad in the 10th match of the ongoing… Read More
Delhi Capitals will square off against Sunrisers Hyderabad in the 10th match of the ongoing… Read More
Kolkata Knight Riders opener Quinton de Kock said he wanted to play according to the… Read More
Kolkata Knight Riders captain Ajinkya Rahane gave credit to the bowlers after they registered an… Read More