Football

ISL 2023-24: We let everybody down – Chennaiyin FC’s Owen Coyle after loss against Hyderabad FC

Chennaiyin FC head coach Owen Coyle admitted they let everybody down after their 1-0 loss in the 19th match week of the ongoing Indian Super League at the Jawaharlal Nehru Stadium in Chennai on Saturday.

When it looked like that both teams would share a point, Sajad Hussain Parray scored in the 89th minute to give a thumping win to Hyderabad. With this win, the Nizams registered their maiden victory of the season.

In fact, Marina Machans dominated the possession with 68.2% and took seven shots on target but failed to capitalise on their chances.

“Well, obviously, first and foremost the result is, I mean, I can’t apologize enough to the fans who have turned out to see us losing the game tonight. I think ultimately, we missed big chances. We create so many chances, (but) we don’t take them,” stated Coyle at the post-match press conference.

He continued, “To be fair to Hyderabad FC, they stuck to their guns, with everybody back behind the ball and they’ve got some quick boys like (Abdul) Rabeeh and they were quick on the counter-attack. So, that was the game plan anyway.”

If Chennaiyin FC had managed to win this game, they would have gone into the top-six in the ISL standings but they could not grab their opportunity. Coyle lamented the missed chance and felt they were not at their best.

“We let everybody down tonight (Saturday). It was an unbelievable opportunity to go into the top six tonight,” he sighed.

He added, “And it was a great opportunity against a team that is down at the bottom, having beaten the top team (Odisha FC), last week. So that’s, I mean, I’m so frustrated and they, I think the fans, the owners, I think everybody’s been let down badly today.”

Addressing the late goal from Parray, Coyle said, “It only takes one mistake, which was to offer another free-kick to the back post and you find yourself 1-0 down.”

Chennaiyin FC will next take on Mohun Bagan Super Giant at the Vivekananda Yuba Bharati Krirangan Stadium, Kolkata on 31st March.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Rohit Sharma has now decided he will not walk away on his own, says Mohammad Kaif

Former Indian batter Mohammad Kaif reckons Rohit Sharma has now decided that he will not… Read More

August 6, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane recalls vital life advice by Ben Stokes from IPL 2017 after retirement

Former Indian batter Ajinkya Rahane recalled the advice he received from ex-England skipper Ben Stokes… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mohammed Shami defends Virat Kohli’s latest criticism after ENG vs IND 2026 series

India’s fast bowler Mohammed Shami has put his weight behind Virat Kohli over latest criticism… Read More

August 5, 2026

Ben Stokes addresses fallout rumours with Brendon McCullum after retirement

Former England skipper Ben Stokes downplayed rumours of fallout with Brendon McCullum after recent retirement.… Read More

August 5, 2026

Aakash Chopra reacts to Ravi Shastri’s India 2027 World Cup squad

Former Indian Test opener Aakash Chopra has shed light on Ravi Shastri’s India’s 2027 World… Read More

August 4, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane announces retirement from all forms of the game

India’s veteran batter Ajinkya Rahane has decided to announce his retirement from all formats of… Read More

July 30, 2026