Tennis

Gunneswaran, Nagal could miss out in US Open without qualifiers

 

Top Indian tennis players, Prajnesh Gunneswaran and Sumit Nagal may end up not participating in the US tennis open that had was rescheduled for August 31 to September 13.

This is because tennis actions are yet to resume, and the competition might start without qualifiers, leaving players in the lower ranking without a chance of even competing for a slot.

Gunneswaran, Nagal had played at the Slam after getting there through qualification. In a situation where the organisers failed to organise qualifiers, Gunneswaran, who is ranked 132 on the ATP rankings, could play in the main draw if some of the top-100 players didn’t participate or should the authorities decide to go ahead with the tournament. Same with Nagal, who is 127th in the ranking. Recall that Nagal took off a set against Roger Federer, who will be missing the tournament after a surgery.

Speaking on the development, Gunneswaran, who just returned to the courts after the lockdown, said he is waiting and watching what will happen in the days ahead. The top India player added that it would be a huge opportunity if he gets a chance to play in the main draw.

The 30-year-old further said that he would participate in the tournament only if they don’t offer ranking points. This he said would be unfair on the others, who couldn’t make it.

Speaking on the challenges of holding the tournament via a video conference call with some 400 ATP players and coaches last week, Patrick Galbraith, the president of the United States Tennis Association highlighted the constraints that they have to face in holding the 2020 US Open, which includes restricted movement and entourages, and singles draw completed without qualifiers.

Also, sharing  Gunneswaran’s sentiment is Japanese star, Kei Nishikori, who suggested that the ITF should do away with ranking points for the event.

If they go by not awarding points, it will water down the relevance of the slam that has become a big brand. Without point ranking, the US Open will just become a tournament with little relevance outside of big prize money.

On his part, India’s former number one, Somdev Devvarman, said it was still too early to comment on the possibility of the Open going ahead without a full field.

To him, without qualifiers, it’s not the US Open but just a closed event.

 

 

Written by: Oladipupo Mojeed

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Match Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will lock horns against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Sunrisers Hyderabad vs Gujarat Titans – Stats Preview

Sunrisers Hyderabad will square off against Gujarat Titans in the 19th match of the ongoing… Read More

April 4, 2025

IPL 2025: Michael Clarke backs Rohit Sharma despite poor form for Mumbai Indians

Former Australian captain Michael Clarke has put his weight behind Rohit Sharma to bounce back… Read More

April 3, 2025

Virender Sehwag heaps praise on Mohammed Siraj after GT win against RCB in IPL 2025

Former Indian opener Virender Sehwag showered praise on Mohammed Siraj after Gujarat Titans registered an… Read More

April 3, 2025

IPL 2025: Rishabh Pant admits they were 20-25 runs short of par score after loss against PBKS

Lucknow Super Giants captain Rishabh Pant admitted they were 20-25 runs short of a par… Read More

April 2, 2025

IPL 2025: Shreyas Iyer hails collective effort after win against Lucknow Super Giants

Punjab Kings captain Shreyas Iyer lauded the collective effort of the team after an eight-wicket… Read More

April 2, 2025