Tennis

Rafael Nadal gearing up for the upcoming year but COVID-19 has made him re-evaluate his calendar ahead of the Australian Open

 

Rafael Nadal 2021 was unfortunately cut short due to a foot injury in August and since then his recovery has been very gradual. He recently featured in the Mubadala World Tennis Championships where he lost out in the semifinals to Andy Murray. However, the biggest setback was when he tested positive for COVID-19.

The Spaniard shared that he had mild symptoms and wanted to get to full health as quickly as possible. However, in over a week, Nadal has resumed his full training sessions.

He even posted a story on his Instagram suggesting how he is working on his fitness. Nadal also pointed out how it is a long process and he is cautiously taking one step at a time.

“Back to fitness work step by step,” Nadal wrote on Instagram.

He is currently at his home in Mallorca, where he was staying following his stint in Abu Dhabi. Nadal is yet to depart for the Australian Open as the Covid-19 infection has surely made him re-evaluate his calendar for the upcoming season.

In the buildup to the Grand Slam Down Under, the former World No. 1 is scheduled to play at the ATP 250 in Melbourne. There the Spaniard will take on the likes of Grigor Dimitrov and Reilly Opelka. The tournament is set to begin from 4th January.

But the COVID-19 infection changed everything as he is analysing the situation. He has announced that he will confirm his participation only after speaking to his team.

“As a consequence of the situation, I have to have total flexibility with my calendar and I will analyze my options depending on my evolution,” Nadal said. “I need to talk to my team and make a decision.”

Nadal only has a week left for the ATP event in Melbourne so he may very well withdraw from that. But the Spaniard will surely feature in the Australian Open 2022.

While there are some chances that may see him withdraw from the Australian Open then he will surely focus on the clay court events including the Roland Garros. It is his best shot at winning another Grand Slam and he will hope that he can play in Paris with all his conviction.

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Rohit Sharma has now decided he will not walk away on his own, says Mohammad Kaif

Former Indian batter Mohammad Kaif reckons Rohit Sharma has now decided that he will not… Read More

August 6, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane recalls vital life advice by Ben Stokes from IPL 2017 after retirement

Former Indian batter Ajinkya Rahane recalled the advice he received from ex-England skipper Ben Stokes… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mohammed Shami defends Virat Kohli’s latest criticism after ENG vs IND 2026 series

India’s fast bowler Mohammed Shami has put his weight behind Virat Kohli over latest criticism… Read More

August 5, 2026

Ben Stokes addresses fallout rumours with Brendon McCullum after retirement

Former England skipper Ben Stokes downplayed rumours of fallout with Brendon McCullum after recent retirement.… Read More

August 5, 2026

Aakash Chopra reacts to Ravi Shastri’s India 2027 World Cup squad

Former Indian Test opener Aakash Chopra has shed light on Ravi Shastri’s India’s 2027 World… Read More

August 4, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane announces retirement from all forms of the game

India’s veteran batter Ajinkya Rahane has decided to announce his retirement from all formats of… Read More

July 30, 2026