Tennis

I am not here to make finals, I am here to win tournaments – Jannik Sinner

 

Italy’s young Tennis sensation Jannik Sinner had a fine last week as he made it to his first ATP Masters 1000 final. However, with Novak Djokovic, Rafael Nadal, and Roger Federer, the Big Three – not playing in the tournament, Sinner feels he missed an opportunity to go all the way in the competition.

The Italian lost the final in straight sets, falling 6-7 (4-7), 4-6 to Pole Hubert Hurkacz in the final match of Miami Open. However, Sinner has taken the defeat to his chin and he wants to come back harder in the upcoming clay season.

Sinner stated that he is not here to make the final but he is here to win tournaments. The 19-year old youngster feels he is ready to win big titles despite the loss in the finals in Miami.

“I’m not here for making finals, you know. I’m here to win tournaments,” Sinner told the press. “But it’s going back to work and then we will see what I can do on the clay.” 

“That I came here with the mentality to win,” he said. “We knew that Rafa, Roger, Novak, Thiem were not playing. I think it was a big opportunity for many players. “So, you know, we came here trying to win the right way and trying to go to the net, trying to make the game, trying to move my opponent.” 

Sinner added that he wants to keep improving his game and he has done the same in the last couple of months. The prodigy player had a good start to the season by winning his second career title at the 250 tournament but veered off the track in the subsequent competitions.

The youngster lost his opening round match against Denis Shapovalov in the Australian Open and then lost the opener at the Montpellier. However, Sinner decided to play a dominating brand of Tennis in Miami and the approach paid off as he finished as a runner-up.

“I was back and playing the ball in the court. I finished the match playing not my game,” Sinner said. 

“Our first goal was trying to take my tennis back, trying to play more aggressively—mix it up a little bit. You know, trying to move the others. So I think this kind of stuff starting from Dubai came back a little bit. Obviously, there is a lot of work, a lot of things to do. “For the next 30, 40 matches prefer to do like this, and then we will see what solution we have. But I think it has been a good week anyway.”

About the Author


Written by DafaNews

DafaNews brings you the most highlighted news in the world of Sports. It serves you up-to-date matches, scores, live streams, fantasy games and quizzes. Our news covers India's prestigious leagues and events – Premier League, Pro Kabbadi League, Cricket World Cup and many more. Follow DafaNews on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter,Telegram and Youtube for more updates.

Related Post
Share
Published by
DafaNews

Recent Posts

Rohit Sharma has now decided he will not walk away on his own, says Mohammad Kaif

Former Indian batter Mohammad Kaif reckons Rohit Sharma has now decided that he will not… Read More

August 6, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane recalls vital life advice by Ben Stokes from IPL 2017 after retirement

Former Indian batter Ajinkya Rahane recalled the advice he received from ex-England skipper Ben Stokes… Read More

August 6, 2026

Mohammed Shami defends Virat Kohli’s latest criticism after ENG vs IND 2026 series

India’s fast bowler Mohammed Shami has put his weight behind Virat Kohli over latest criticism… Read More

August 5, 2026

Ben Stokes addresses fallout rumours with Brendon McCullum after retirement

Former England skipper Ben Stokes downplayed rumours of fallout with Brendon McCullum after recent retirement.… Read More

August 5, 2026

Aakash Chopra reacts to Ravi Shastri’s India 2027 World Cup squad

Former Indian Test opener Aakash Chopra has shed light on Ravi Shastri’s India’s 2027 World… Read More

August 4, 2026

Ajinkya Rahane announces retirement from all forms of the game

India’s veteran batter Ajinkya Rahane has decided to announce his retirement from all formats of… Read More

July 30, 2026